Have you ever wondered, how to change your name on Facebook? In this article, we will walk you through the entire steps as to how you can change your name on Facebook using desktop as well as via Android devices.
Changing a name on Facebook is comparatively easy, though there are some restrictions and guidelines as well that you need to be aware of and follow accordingly. The procedure that we are going to explain below will apply whether you have a personal Facebook profile or you are having a Facebook page.
Things to be followed while changing the name on Facebook?
Facebook is a community where everyone uses the name they identify by in their daily life. Being said that, Facebook does not allow if your profile name or business name contains the following:
- You cannot include symbols, numbers, uncommon capitalization, repeating characters, or punctuation.
- Facebook does not allow characters from multiple languages.
- Do not mention any sort of titles (e.g. Mr, Mrs, Dr, Col, etc.).
- Words or phrases in place of a name.
- Avoid offensive or suggestive words of any kind.
If you fulfill the above criteria properly and still having trouble changing your name on Facebook. Then, there are few other things as well that you have to bear in mind:
- The name on your account should be the name that your friends and relatives call you in your daily life. This name should also appear on an identity card or documents that Facebook accepts.
- Nicknames can be used as a first or middle name if they’re a variation of your authentic name (such as Mike instead of Michael).
- You can also list another name on your account (e.g. maiden name, nickname, professional name).
- Profiles are for individual use only. You can also create a Page for your business, institution, or organization.
- Imitating anything or anyone is not allowed on Facebook.
Why change your name on Facebook?
There may be many reasons to change the name on Facebook. Some of the general situations are as below:
- Maybe you are newly married and want to mention a new spouse’s surname on your Facebook profile.
- Maybe you have a nickname that most of your friends knew rather than your real name.
- Maybe you need to add a middle name to your profile.
- Maybe you just want to add some changes only to make your profile more attractive than earlier.
How to change name on Facebook?
To change your name on Facebook, you will have to log in with your account credentials. Once you are in your FB profile, follow these below steps:
Step 1: Click on the account icon (the triangle shape icon) on the top right corner of the screen. Then select “Settings & privacy.”
Step 2: Now, several options open up under Settings & privacy, you have to select the very first option which is “Settings.”
Step 3: On the left-hand side menu, the default menu opens up “General”, and in General account settings. Click on “Edit” next to the Name.
Step 4: Change the name that you want to mention on your FB profile and then click “Review Change.”
Step 5: On the last step, select the name that you want to appear on your Facebook profile, and enter your Facebook password and lastly click on the “Save Changes” button.
Note: If you change your name on Facebook, you can’t change it again for 60 days.
How to add a nickname or other names on Facebook?
Though Facebook prefers to use only real names on their Facebook profile, they also allow you to add a nickname or other name as an accompaniment to your legal name.
It is an effective way to help people who know you by your nickname or any other name instead of a real one. They can able to find you on Facebook by searching with your nickname or any other name.
To add a Nickname you need to complete the following steps:
Step 1: Go to your Facebook profile and select the “About” tab.
Step 2: Now, go to “Details about you” from the left side menu and then click on “Add a nickname, a birth name, etc.” under the Other names section.
Step 3: Select the name type (Nickname, Maiden name, Married Name, Father’s name, Birth name, etc.) from the drop-down menu, and enter your nickname or other names that you prefer. Select the box next to “Show at top of profile”, if you want this name to be showing up on the top of your profile. Lastly, click “Save.”